Sitting in Fire Ants - JI AUCTION

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Sitting in Fire Ants - JI AUCTION
  • From: Irisborer@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:39:39 -0600 (MDT)

>	Thanks, Anner, for coming to my rescue!  There was a court case
>recently in this state in which an upset young lady who caught her
>boyfriend cheating, tied him up, stripped him, and made him sit in a fire
>ant bed!  Assault charges were brought against her, and she was fined!

Well, I like her style!

But I digress.  I need your help, everyone.

We are preparing for the FIRST EVER JAPANESE IRIS SYMPOSIUM scheduled for
10/18 at the Royal Botanical Gardens.  By now, anyone who asked for an
invitation should have received one.

We did set our registration fee on the low side, and hope to make up our
costs through an auction.  I have some interesting things pledged already,
but after a very successful auction on another list... I throw this idea out
to all of you happy iris folks, near and far:

If anyone has anything at all that they believe is of interest (and value),
and would like to donate it to our symposium auction, I would be most
grateful.  THIS DOES NOT NECESSARILY HAVE TO BE A JAPANESE IRIS (although
we'd love to get more than we have).

Now, our circumstances are unusual, so you should understand how this auction
will work.

FOR PLANTS OF ANY TYPE (all welcome).... we will auction PLEDGE CARDS ONLY.
 Planting time is rather late for this part of the country so we will auction
based on pledges (and pictures where possible) for shipment in the spring.

ALSO... for plants.  If a Canadian plant is won by an American or an American
plant is won by a Canadian - we will ask the donor to ship to a "broker"
within the country of origin.  That broker will be responsible for getting
the necessary paperwork to get it across the border in a timely manner.  So
there is no need to fret about phytos and such.  The donor will, however,
assume domestic shipping costs as part of his/her donation.

In return, we will find some way to thank our donors... (I have an idea, but
need permission from the donor before I can offer it).

So... this is a historic event - and you can be part of it in a historic way!
 Thank you for your support.

Kathy Guest