Re: CULT: Blyth irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Blyth irises
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 06:04:21 -0600 (MDT)

Sue Stribley, South Australia, wrote:
> Re rainfall in Blyth's growing location, ....snip...
> we have an annual rainfall of 22", mainly winter rains.  In Victoria, =
> where Tempo Two is located, it would be quite a bit wetter.  ...snip...>
> In their 1996/97 catalogue they made mention of a dry winter and the =
> very good flowering season that followed?
Thanks Sue.  Does anyone know if they use the same kind of intensive
soil sterilization that Superstition uses?

Rick, what kind of water (nature and supplemental) do you use in the
winter and have you noticed any relationship between winter
dormancy/lack of dormancy/early onset of spring growth in the cultivars
we wet soggy hot south easterners complain about not doing well here?  I
am thinking of possible tendency to respond to warm spells, subsequent
freeze damage, and nice wet relatively warm winter weather for diseases
to fluorish in/with/under whcih (no wonder prepositions are the wrong
thing to end sentences with).

Linda Mann east Tennessee
zone 7, but all of the cultivated plants they list as typical garden
subjects generally don't do well this far south in the valley, so I
guess that means this area is more zone 8.  If I were up on the Plateau,
or even north of Knoxville, less than 50 miles away, it would be more
like zone 7, or even 6.  An intersesting web site!  Lots and lots of
rain (finally!) - several inches yesterday.