Re: LA: Louisiana name?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: LA: Louisiana name?
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 12:55:38 -0600 (MDT)

>Iris books I have all say Thomas Walter includinig Brian Mathew 's
>book  1981 version the Iris.  page 107. ''the Louisiana Iris"
>edited by Marie Caillet and J. Mertzweilleer page 22.  A.I.S.
>book "The World of Iris" page 33.

But I do remember reading in the first chapter of "The Louisiana Iris" (the
one you cite) that Audubon is credited with first assigning the name.
Apparently he painted one of the plants behind some lovely bird and
identified the plant as Louisiana iris. I don't have the book here with me
or I'd look up the page. No doubt I remembered Audubon and forgot Walter
for reasons that, if understood, would cast light on the intricate
interdependencies of memory formation. Or maybe I just didn't finish the

Isn't it satisfying when I'm wrong? Aren't you folks happy with me? When I
am wrong, everyone else can learn without having to look as stupid
(momentarily) as I do. The beauty part is I don't mind looking stupid. :-)
I have given it some thought and come to the conclusion that Nature created
me and brash people like me (surely there are others!) for just this
purpose: to facilitate the spread of knowledge by provoking knowledgeable
people to correct us. :-)