Re: CULT: Borer predator?

>>Love to hear of someone who finds an irisborer moth predator or
>>something.
>>
>Kathyguest... Would bats serve? They eat flying insects, and at night.
>They eat all kinds of insects, why not borer moths?
>
>celia
>storey@aristotle.net
>Little Rock

Bats might get a few, but the borer moths are weak fliers and are not
attracted to lights.  The general principle of IPM (or one of them, at
least) is that general predators are not effecient at controlling specific
pests, because they don't take enough of them.  What we need is a nice
little parasitic wasp or fly that targets borer caterpillars or pupae.
Problem is that given the habits and habitat of the borer, such are
unlikely to exist.

Sorry if this sounds pedantic--occupational hazard!  This thread has given
me a lot of new information, so I'm going back to rewrite the borer section
in my book.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College