Re: LA: Louisiana name?

>Isn't it satisfying when I'm wrong? Aren't you folks happy with me? When I
>am wrong, everyone else can learn without having to look as stupid
>(momentarily) as I do. The beauty part is I don't mind looking stupid. :-)
>I have given it some thought and come to the conclusion that Nature created
>me and brash people like me (surely there are others!) for just this
>purpose: to facilitate the spread of knowledge by provoking knowledgeable
>people to correct us. :-)
>
>celia

Absolutely right!
Could you arrange to send me about 50 students just like you, Celia?
Students who are not afraid to ask questions are now so rare but I love to
have them--provided they're willing to take "I don't know" for an answer
from time to time.

The simple truth may be that Audubon first used the term "Louisiana Iris"
but that Walter is to be credited with the first use of the Latin name Iris
brevicaulis (if that's what we're talking about).  This makes a difference
to botanists because Walter's name is protected by the Code of
Nomenclature, while Audubon's is not.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College