Re: LA: Louisiana name?

Bill Shear, speaking to Celia, said,

<< The simple truth may be that Audubon first used the term "Louisiana Iris"
 but that Walter is to be credited with the first use of the Latin name Iris
 brevicaulis (if that's what we're talking about).  This makes a difference
 to botanists because Walter's name is protected by the Code of
 Nomenclature, while Audubon's is not. >>

Bill, I would guess that a lot of people don't understand about "publishing"
a name, botanically speaking. I know I sure didn't until I read a tedious
little book on taxonomy so I could get a very tenuous grip on the subject.
Maybe you could explain? Or Tom?

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA
Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com