Re: CULT: Blyth irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Blyth irises
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 18:10:10 -0600 (MDT)

Linda Mann wrote:

> Sue Stribley, South Australia, wrote:
> > Re rainfall in Blyth's growing location, ....snip...
> > we have an annual rainfall of 22", mainly winter rains.  In Victoria, =
> > where Tempo Two is located, it would be quite a bit wetter.  ...snip...>
> > In their 1996/97 catalogue they made mention of a dry winter and the =
> > very good flowering season that followed?
> >
> Thanks Sue.  Does anyone know if they use the same kind of intensive
> soil sterilization that Superstition uses?
>
> Rick, what kind of water (nature and supplemental) do you use in the
> winter and have you noticed any relationship between winter
> dormancy/lack of dormancy/early onset of spring growth in the cultivars
> we wet soggy hot south easterners complain about not doing well here?  I
> am thinking of possible tendency to respond to warm spells, subsequent
> freeze damage, and nice wet relatively warm winter weather for diseases
> to fluorish in/with/under whcih (no wonder prepositions are the wrong
> thing to end sentences with).
>
> Linda Mann east Tennessee
> zone 7, but all of the cultivated plants they list as typical garden
> subjects generally don't do well this far south in the valley, so I
> guess that means this area is more zone 8.  If I were up on the Plateau,
> or even north of Knoxville, less than 50 miles away, it would be more
> like zone 7, or even 6.  An intersesting web site!  Lots and lots of
> rain (finally!) - several inches yesterday.

Linda,

Here in my part of California we get most of our rain during the winter
and early spring (Oct to April) and it is cool enough to trap that
moisture in the soil for the duration .  Hence I do not do any
irrigation during this time unless we get an extreme dry spell.

Iris that I plant early, during June and July are full sized plants
going into winter.  They stay like this over the winter.  If it is warm
enough the rebloomers will bloom.  Varieties that I plant in September
and October seem only to establish roots and not grow much foilage. The
foilage really starts to take off in February.  Because of our mild
winter (20-30 frosty nights a winter, 25 or 26 degrees being a real cold
night) they are only semi-dormant and will continue to grow roots.
Arilbreds will grow foilage during the winter if it is warm enough.

I have never had any type of rot during our winters, but I spray twice a
month for leaf spot, which likes our cool and wet winters.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8

PS:  We haven't had a killing freeze in the eight years I've been here.