Re: CULT: New Rot

Jeff and Carolyn Walters wrote:
> Rick Tasco wrote (10 Sept 97):
> > Sounds suspiciously like Crown rot (Sclerotium rolfsii). Check it out on
> > page 388 of The World of Iris.
> Thanks, Rick! I checked out the reference you cited above, and it seems to
> be a match, even to the leaf symptoms - yellowing tips, rotting bases -
> that I didn't mention in my previous posting.
> I disposed of the infected rhizome and removed the soil from the area where
> it was planted. Is there anything else that should be done to keep the
> crown rot from spreading? I suspect if El Nino would just go away the
> problem would disappear.
To avoid getting this from an outside source I would dip all incoming
iris in a clorox bath for 30 minutes.  I use a 1 to 5 mix.  This will
kill the fungus on the plant.  If the fungus reappears in your garden,
you may not have dug it all.  If conditions are right (hot and humid) it
will spread quickly.  Solarizing/fumigating may be necessary if it

Rick Tasco
superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8