CULT: Borers or what?

I don't think they are borers, so what might they be.

In poking around one of my "hoping it was going to recover, but wasn't
showing any signs of life" bloomout rhizomes, I discovered some little
white worm like things.

There were 5-6 of them, creamy white in color, about 1 mm (1/32") in
diameter, 3-6 mm (3/32 -5/32") in length, 8 or so segments. Looked like
a small white "inch worm". They were living in a space under the skin of
the rz. It wasn't clear to me that they were eating the rz, but got very
active when exposed to air and light.

Any ideas? I am going to take them to the local county Ag office to see
if they can tell me.

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.