Re: LA: Louisiana name?

ubon's is not. >>
>Bill, I would guess that a lot of people don't understand about "publishing"
>a name, botanically speaking. I know I sure didn't until I read a tedious
>little book on taxonomy so I could get a very tenuous grip on the subject.
>Maybe you could explain? Or Tom?
As a zoologist, I would hesitate to pronounce on 'How Plants Get Their
Names' which, by the way, is the title of a neat little book on the subject
(I no longer have it, alas).  But in animals, names must be formed in a
prescribed way, published in certain places, and accompanied by a set
minimum of information to be valid and legal.  Animal names are regulated
by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature, which operates
according to a Code.  Everyone has agreed to abide by the provisions of the
code and not accept names that do not meet the minimum standards.  Names
that are (or were) improperly proposed are declared nomina oblita, or
forgotten names, and struck off the list.

I think the plant proceedure is basically the same but with slightly
different criteria.  I seem to recall that long ago (30 yrs?) the name had
to be accompanied by a description in Latin, but that may no longer be the

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943