Re: CULT: Blyth iris

At 11:08 AM 9/11/97 -0600, Linda wrote:
>Thanks Rick.  The other places that I know of that grow Blyth intros
>commercially are in Texas (?) and Keith Keppel.  Wonder if it freezes
>often where Keith is now?

I may have missed the early part of this discussion but if the question is
- Will Blyth irises survive where it freezes? - My answer is yes. We have a
few Blyth intros in our list and they do so well for us that I now look for
them in other catalogs.
We replace plants up to one year if they die and I can't recall replacing
any Blyth irises. I should add we have only 13" to 15" total precipitation
in a normal year and our rather sandy soil drains so quickly that we can
work it two days after the snow goes or the day following a heavy rain.

Aitkens in Washington also sell quite a few Blyth cultivars.

In summary, for us, reliable and often spectacular irises.

John Montgomery
Vernon  BC  Zone 5  Our extreme low since 1978  -33C
normal low  -22 to -25C