Re: CULT: Blyth iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Blyth iris
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 18:02:06 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, John Montgomery wrote:

> At 11:08 AM 9/11/97 -0600, Linda wrote:
> >Thanks Rick.  The other places that I know of that grow Blyth intros
> >commercially are in Texas (?) and Keith Keppel.  Wonder if it freezes
> >often where Keith is now?
> I may have missed the early part of this discussion but if the question is
> - Will Blyth irises survive where it freezes? - My answer is yes.

	When I lived in Texas, I had no problems whatsoever with Blyth
irises and when I moved to MS, I brought them with me.  The problem in the
South and in my MS garden is that they start  an early growth cycle  in
late winter or early spring only to be zapped by a cold snap in March.
Very few Blyth irises have bloomed well here and rarely reach registered
height.  The only one I can recommend without hesitation is TOUCH OF
BRONZE.  Nothing keeps it from blooming.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8