Re: CULT: Blyth iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Blyth iris
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 18:57:08 -0600 (MDT)

Walter A. Moores wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, John Montgomery wrote:
> > At 11:08 AM 9/11/97 -0600, Linda wrote:
> > >Thanks Rick.  The other places that I know of that grow Blyth intros
> > >commercially are in Texas (?) and Keith Keppel.  Wonder if it freezes
> > >often where Keith is now?
> >
> > I may have missed the early part of this discussion but if the question is
> > - Will Blyth irises survive where it freezes? - My answer is yes.
>         When I lived in Texas, I had no problems whatsoever with Blyth
> irises and when I moved to MS, I brought them with me.  The problem in the
> South and in my MS garden is that they start  an early growth cycle  in
> late winter or early spring only to be zapped by a cold snap in March.
> Very few Blyth irises have bloomed well here and rarely reach registered
> height.  The only one I can recommend without hesitation is TOUCH OF
> BRONZE.  Nothing keeps it from blooming.
>         Walter Moores
>         Enid Lake, MS 7/8

Walter, John and Linda -- The few Blyths that I have do just fine here
in northern Virginia, where we have plenty of freezing weather --
Niswonger), NEUTRON DANCE and an unidentified one that has the Blyth
look -- may be BEACH GIRL. These seem to work well with my seedlings
from old velvet-falls varieties, so I have picked up a few more Blyths
this year. One thing I would concede -- they all come up shorter than
the registered height, but are still vigorous. We'll see how the new
ones do.

Griff Crump, alomg the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA