Re: CULT: Blyth iris

>At 11:08 AM 9/11/97 -0600, Linda wrote:
>>Thanks Rick.  The other places that I know of that grow Blyth intros
>>commercially are in Texas (?) and Keith Keppel.  Wonder if it freezes
>>often where Keith is now?

	Linda et al,

	They grow for me in Zone 3, albeit I only have Blythe SDBs, but
	they are very hardy here and prolific. One of them is JAZZAMATAZZ
	that I wrote glowing reports of in June...kept on blooming.

	Besides the extreme cold, we have so much rain here that an
	editorial in today's local paper said in part, "..rain is plentiful

	to the point of creating a temperate zone rain forest..we are living
	on and in a gigantic sponge...our super-abundant rainfall falls on
	the high country and immediately begins its long trip to return to
	the sea....it trickles down tree trunks and onto moss and through
	ferns and grass and into the soil, all the while moving downhill.."

	BTW, I purchased JAZZAMATAZZ from Lowell Baumunk in Colorado and
	I don't think his climate would be described as a having 'super-
	abundant rainfall'. We also have acid, very dark clay soil and
	it is very fertile if crops (including flowers) are rotated.

	I haven't found any difference in rhizomes from different climates
	and those from warmer, drier climates seem to do better with all our
	rain and cold. I am speaking of bearded irises only. The beardless
	ones seem to do better if purchased locally...still trying to sort
	it all out....

Ellen Gallagher	\ e_galla@moose.ncia.net \ Lancaster, New Hampshire,USA
  USDA Zone 3a \ Northern White Mountains\ AIS Region 1 {New England}