Re: CULT: Blyth iris

Linda Mann wrote:

> As for rot, these intros seem to be more afflicted with what we were
> jokingly calling the molliegrubs - failure to thrive, major tendency to
> sulk, iris tuberculosis ("wasting disease") at least in my garden.  They
> sit there and gradually fade away, often taking several years to finally
> die.

Evaluating the Blyth iris as a group I would have to say that quite a
few, not all, are marginal growers lacking vigor.  At least in this
climate anyway.  I would suspect without checking pedigree that there is
quite a bit of line breeding behind the Blyth iris.  Unusual patterns
and wild combinations are the reward at the expense of vigor.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8