Re: CULT: Blyth iris

In a message dated 97-09-11 18:46:51 EDT, John Montgomery writes:

>I may have missed the early part of this discussion but if the question is
>- Will Blyth irises survive where it freezes? - My answer is yes. We have a
>few Blyth intros in our list and they do so well for us that I now look for
>them in other catalogs.

Kathy Guest here in East Aurora, NY.... Blyths also do well here as far as
the cold goes... HOWEVER... I do notice that they seem to be particularly
susceptible (sp?) to rot.  I lost WITCHES WAND 3 times before I gave up on
it.  I have solved that problem here (I believe), but giving them a raised
and pitched bed so that the drainage is excellent.  WITCHING increased to an
enormous club in just two years using that method.

I have a theory that some irises require very arid conditions in order to
grow properly.  Many of Keppel's seem to be like that and so are Blyths.
 Since most of us on the 'right' coast have quite moist conditions, growing
some of these irises is a challange.  And I believe that Keith has found this
out as well when he moved from California to Oregon.  Seems to me his first
catalog after the move talked about how many irises he lost!

So, that's just one person's experience....

Kathyguest... who has many opinions (but at least they're all right!)