Re: CULT: Blyth iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Blyth iris
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:34:02 -0600 (MDT)

I wrote:
> > As for rot, these intros seem to be more afflicted with what we were
> > jokingly calling the molliegrubs - failure to thrive, major tendency to
> > sulk, iris tuberculosis ("wasting disease") at least in my garden.  They
> > sit there and gradually fade away, often taking several years to finally
> > die.
and Rick Tasco replied:
> Evaluating the Blyth iris as a group I would have to say that quite a
> few, not all, are marginal growers lacking vigor.  At least in this
> climate anyway.  I would suspect without checking pedigree that there is
> quite a bit of line breeding behind the Blyth iris.  Unusual patterns
> and wild combinations are the reward at the expense of vigor.

Thanks Rick and everybody else for their thoughts about this.  Although
I want my 'garden' to be full of carefree, wild and weedy,
everyblooming, rot and freeze resistant plants that will either live or
die without benefit of Clorox, cygon, soil sterilization, etc, every now
and then, I want to grow some particular thing in spite of its need for
(relatively speaking) intensive care here. I see those pictures of
unusual patterns and wild combinations and slightly different shades of
colors that the Blyths have come up with and think that I ought to be
able to come up with some kind of small scale management that would keep
them alive long enough to bloom at least once.

Sounds like sterile potting soil, with lots of sand, daily watering,
double layer of Reemay, several water bottles for temperature
modulation, and a small fan for air circulation might be good. Hmm, just
thought of another thing - we have lots of summer inversions with fairly
high ozone levels that can last for days and weeks - bad enough that
green bean leaves are always flecked and bronzed, unless its a
particularly resistant cv.  So maybe I better add a charcoal air
filtration system...and maybe a dehumidifier..

Getting a bit silly on the subject - how do the rest of you grow things
that you know are fussier growers than you would normally put up with
but are determined to keep alive anyway?  I already have the superb
drainage that Kathy described (a rockpile definitely drains well) at
least in most of my garden.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA