Re: CULT: Blyth irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Blyth irises
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 06:30:11 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan wrote:
> Leaf Spot is a fungal disease of mainly bearded iris, although I have
> seen it to a lesser degree on Louisiana's and Spurias.  Small circular
> to oval spots looking watery or greasy appear on the leaves.

	Finally, somebody has mentioned the magic word 'greasy.'   Greasy
spot is a common occurrence on iris foliage in the summer in the South.
It is caused by rainfall and is found in beds where irises are planted
rather close together.  I find it in beds but not often on plants lined
out.  While it may be unsightly, it is not really a problem because it is
easily removed by dishwashing liquid.  With  plants I am shipping, I
sometimes have to use a wash cloth and scrub 'behind those iris ears.'
I think it is caused by rain splattering moldy soil up on the leaves, but
it doesn't penetrate the leaves so is easily removed by the above
	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8