Re: CULT: Blyth iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Blyth iris
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 06:41:10 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan wrote:

> Evaluating the Blyth iris as a group I would have to say that quite a
> few, not all, are marginal growers lacking vigor.  At least in this
> climate anyway.  I would suspect without checking pedigree that there is
> quite a bit of line breeding behind the Blyth iris.  Unusual patterns
> and wild combinations are the reward at the expense of vigor.
>
> Rick Tasco
> Superstition Iris Gardens
> Central California
> Zone 8

	The line breeding may also account for the shortness in the South.
CHEATING HEART grows and blooms like a BB in MS, but when I saw it at full
form and full height in MI, I was amazed.  Others, in the yellow plicata
line of Keith Keppel's do not survive here.  JITTERBUG was tried three
times here without success, and I attribute its death to close
line-breeding.  Also, most of the irises with GIGOLO in the background are
doomed before they are planted, CHATTER, however, being the exception.
Phil Williams has had it rebloom for him, and seeing it there prompted me
to order it from Rick and Roger this year.  Sparse, narrow foliage may
also indicate close line breeding.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8