Re: Rabbits

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Rabbits
  • From: Bob Axmear <bobaxe@sbt.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 11:49:18 -0600 (MDT)

Albert F. Limberg wrote:

> Ian E. Efford wrote:
> >
> > . . . there are no rabbits in North America except on one or two
> > islands in Juan de Fuca Straits.
> >
> > Ian in Ottawa
>
> Excuse me, Please! Ian, did your really mean to say this?  Seriously!!?
>
> I have several field guides to the Sierra Nevada Mountains (at last
> check still in North America, California, to be precise) that list at
> least four  different species of rabbit . . . Cottontail, Brush,
> Snowshoe Rabbits and Black-tailed Jackrabbit . . . native to North
> America.
>
> Of course, I came in late on the exchange and that may explain my
> mystification.
>
> Al Limberg
> Concord, CA

	I looked this subject up in Roger Tory Peterson's field guide because I
thought maybe they were all hares in this country. He lists quite a few
rabbits in the Genus Sylvlagus: Eastern Cottontail=Sylvilagus
floridanus, Mountain Cottontail= Sylvilagus nuttalli, New England
Cottontail=Sylvilagus auduboni, Brush Rabbit=Sylvilagus bachmani, marsh
rabbit=Sylvilagus palustris, Swamp Rabbit=Sylvilagus aquaticus, and
Pygmy Rabbit=Sylvilagus idahoensis

Bob
--
Robert J Axmear