CULT-Borer--other plants attacked

Bill Shear wrote:

<< Since iris borers are highly  specific to irises,  >>

Maybe not. I think we've become so dependent upon the folklore of the borer
and the chemical approach to its control that we may collectively have
forgotton some things.

In Cornell Extension Bulletin 112, "Bearded Iris: A Perennial Suited to all
Gardens", by Austin Sand (1925), the following sentence is found on page 51:

" Grace Sturtevant reports injury to lupines, columbines, bleeding hearts,
and especially Aquilegia chrysantha by this same insect".

Plants of the semi-shade with enlarged root crowns. Natives, or plants with
close native relatives, depending upon what species she was refering to.

This very valuable publication is now available from HIPS, the Historic Iris
Preservation Society, for eight dollars, postpaid. Best book money I've spent
in a long time. Order from:

Ruth Simmons
Route I, Box 67
Walters, OK  76572