HIST-CAT Mary's Garden-Order Received

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HIST-CAT Mary's Garden-Order Received
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 14:21:54 -0600 (MDT)

I received my small order from Mary's Garden today. This is a nursery which
has done very little national advertising, and I have been very interested to
see what quality of service and prodict they provide, since their catalog of
older and historic irises is interesting and contains some rare plants.

The rhizomes came in a ventilated box via Priority Mail and arrived two days
after shipment. An itemized  packing list was included. Two irises I ordered,
with the request for no substitutions, were "out" and a refund check was
included with a note telling me that they were sorry to disappoint me but the
dought had taken a toll. They also said the rhizomes were small, but they
thought they would be fine and if they were not, they would be happy to
replace them.

The rhizomes, which were unwashed and had a homegrown look, were of modest
size, but neither the best nor the worst I've paid money for. They appeared
to have  been out of the ground for a while, which does not bother me much
since I prefer to let them dry. For two of my selections--one of them a very
rare plant--they sent two rhizomes.

I sent along a list of possible extras, but none of the extras I received
were from this list. This was disappointing since I have a small garden and
if a nursery does not give me the option of taking a discount but no extras,
then, to avoid being innundated with plants I have no use for, I have to ask
for stuff as extras that I would otherwise buy. So I appreciate vendors who
pick from the list where possible. They are, of course, certainly not obliged

The rhizomes are about what I expected to receive, but I would much prefer to
have had them at the time I specified on my order, or certainly before the
last acceptable date I also included, which was September 1. But it is over
two weeks before our last good plant date here, and I am very happy to have
the irises, several of which are very hard to come by.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA  Zone 7
Henry Hall   henryanner@aol.com