IRC: Chat Msg for Ryan

I apologize to all for sending this on list (although the information
might be useful to others), but I don't seem to be able to email Ryan
direct with a reply to a message he sent me. Mail servers are messed up
or something.

Ryan wrote:
> John,
>     Sorry I didn't respond promptly, I was at a school retreat. How do
> you get on the fri.night chat? I have a Mac.
> Thanks,
> Ryan

I am assuming that since you are trying to register a chat room on WBS,
you have the appropriate chat software already. If not, the best that I
have found is a program called Ircle. I think you can find it under Mac
software at :

Upload it and install it on your system. You get a months free usage
before they start asking for a minimum donation. It is absolutely the
best and it is supported. Let me know if you need help. If you want you
can call me at (510) 795-9723  (California) anytime (even during the

If you have useable chat software then read on...

I have set up an iris-l chat channel on a PRIVATE network that will not
be so difficult to get onto as Undernet. It works the same way as
Undernet so everything you know about that will still work. We are
Scheduled for every Friday 6:00 pm PDT (7:00 MDT, 8:00 CDT, 9:00 EDT,
Mid afternoon Sat for Sonya - I think) We will have this time slot every
Friday unless we decide to change it.

The service is run by Rod Venger in Colorado Springs at no charge to
anyone. He grows Orchids (about 50,000 a year - small time he says). He
has kindly registered us on his server.

If you don't know how to Chat, email me privately and I will help you
get set up. It is pretty easy.

Ok, there are just 2 teeeny, tiny little things that are different with
this set up.

First: Instead of using a name for the network he uses a number called
an IP address. It looks like:

All you do is put the number in the same place in your program that you
designate the server name e.g.:    instead of   us.undernet.org

And you must specify port number 6667.

It is as simple as that. Just log on the same way you did before. When
connected type:

/join #iris-l

Second, and slightly bigger problem is that the address number
changes daily. (Come on, no whining, it is free and much faster that
undernet, no net splits, and you will be able to get on when you want
to!) It is because he is on a dial up connection (at his end). So every
Fri I will post a message with the days IP address on it. It is also
available from his webpage at:

If you can sign onto any chat server do that then type:

/server (URL from my Fri chat message) 6667

and press return. That should connect you to Rod's server then type :

/join #iris-l

I have more information if you need help in the basic chat process.

I will also be watching my email during any chat in case someone has a

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.