Re: Lawn ponds and cottontail rabbits

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Lawn ponds and cottontail rabbits
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 17:26:41 -0600 (MDT)

rimat wrote:
 After i fished several chipmunks out of my
> rain barrels, I put a long stick in each one so they could climb out.

Thanks for the idea, Rima. I'll put a stick in my Miracle Gro barrel and
perhaps save a squirrel or two.

Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA --- What am I
SAYING? I want to get RID of the squirrels! Well . . . maybe not by
drowning. A few years ago, I live-trapped 21 squirrels in 22 days in my
yard, and let them all loose in a nature preserve 5 miles distant. (It
has to be that far, or they come back.) That worked pretty well. Then,
the Fairfax County authorities (may they all receive their just
desserts) decided no longer to rent out the live traps, but, instead, to
"counsel residents to live in peaceful coexistence with their animal
neighbors."  For my next-door neighbor, who had a family of skunks which
had burrowed under his patio (selfishly, I confess, thank God HIS
patio), this was too much. He had a commercial skunk catcher come in and
remove the odoriferous animal neighbors. I felt bad that he didn't
perfect the operation by having the skunk catcher deliver the skunks to
the Fairfax County authorities -- but life is not perfect.