Re: AIS Bulletin and hybridizing

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: AIS Bulletin and hybridizing
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 21:25:13 -0600 (MDT)

apearce@academy.net.au wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>               I just thought I'd let you know that the AIS July bulletin
> finally made it to Adelaide yesterday!!!   I found Donald Spoon's article on
> Bearded Iris Rebloom particularly interesting.  I am interesting in breeding
> rebloomers, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend good parents for
> rebloomers.  The ones I have are:
> All That Jazz
> Beverly Sills
> Grecian Goddess
> Mulled Wine
> Pagan Dance
> Perfect Couple
> Pirate's Quest
> Polar Queen
> Schortman's Garnet Ruffles
> Victoria Falls
> Wings Of Dreams
> Words and Music
> I also have:
> Fall Fiesta
> Honky Tonk Blues
> Leda's Lover
> which I gather may carry rebloom genes.  Any advice would be much appreciated.
> I would also be interested to know the names of any cultivars which
> repeat-bloom several times per year or are "everblooming" in some regions of
> the US.
> Ann Pearce

Many of the varieties you mention above are not too dependable here.  At
least not for me.   I would suggest getting varieties hybridized by
Zurbrigg, Byers or our own Walta...Walter Moores that is.

And speaking of rebloom, and not trying to bragg, but rebloom is
exploding here.  Perfume Counter, Hemstitched (all summer and still),
Feedback (incredible, 12 plants in full bloom) and many others.  But the
most impressive rebloomer I've yet seen for form and normal stalks at
this time of the year is FOREVER YOURS by Ben Hager.  Every, and I mean
every plant is blooming with stalks about 40 inches and terrific
branching.  Plenty of increases left.  What a winner!

Its a shame that I will be digging these plants now and replanting them.
But I will cut the stalks and use every vase that I have.

Rick Tasco
Superstiton Iris Gardens
Central California...where the forcasters say we may get, of all things,
a hurricane.  Hurricane Linda.  Go figure!
Zone 8