Re: AIS Bulletin and hybridizing

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: AIS Bulletin and hybridizing
  • From: art bern <art@gv.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 22:41:44 -0600 (MDT)

apearce@academy.net.au wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>               I just thought I'd let you know that the AIS July bulletin
> finally made it to Adelaide yesterday!!!   I found Donald Spoon's article on
> Bearded Iris Rebloom particularly interesting.  I am interesting in breeding
> rebloomers, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend good parents for
> rebloomers.  The ones I have are:
>
> All That Jazz
> Beverly Sills
> Grecian Goddess
> Mulled Wine
> Pagan Dance
> Perfect Couple
> Pirate's Quest
> Polar Queen
> Schortman's Garnet Ruffles
> Victoria Falls
> Wings Of Dreams
> Words and Music
>
> I also have:
>
> Fall Fiesta
> Honky Tonk Blues
> Leda's Lover
>
> which I gather may carry rebloom genes.  Any advice would be much appreciated.
> I would also be interested to know the names of any cultivars which
> repeat-bloom several times per year or are "everblooming" in some regions of
> the US.
> TIA
> Ann Pearce

George Sutton talked to our society a year ago last May and gave us the
following on hybridizing rebloomers. Hope you can use the info.

BONUS MAMA: use as a pollen parent, use with a modern iris that is tall
DUSKY CHALLERGER: use as a pollen parent: use it with SKY HOOKS and
will     produce spoons
EARL of ESSEX: good parent
FEEDBACK: best as a pod parent; blooms in most areas
HARVEST of MEMORIES: use as dad; good branching and buds
HEMSTITCHED: use as mom
HIGH HO SILVER: use both ways-80% will be white, 10% yellow, 10%
your     cross color
MANDOLIN: produces good reblooming orange
ORANGE POPSICLE: best if mom but can also be dad, good rebloom
SKY HOOKS: the BEST space age mom of all time
SPEEDLIMIT: use as dad because it won't set a pod; prettiest bloom
of     rebloomers
SUMMER OLYMPICS: best if mom; crosses with all
SWEET MUSETTE: use as mom(second best mom of all time)
VANITY: use with modern iris that has good branching and bud count
VICTORIA FALL: use as mom

(try this: cross SKY HOOKS with HONKY TONK BLUES- it results in HONKY
TONK BLUES with spoons)

I haven't tried any of these but George does alot of hybridizing of
rebloomers

Art   art@gv.net