Re: Lawn ponds and cottontail rabbits

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Lawn ponds and cottontail rabbits
  • From: "Albert F. Limberg" <campconn@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 22:42:08 -0600 (MDT)

rimat wrote:

> I was thanking the heavens that I have a natural
> pond and not a vinyl one.  After i fished several chipmunks out of my
> rain barrels, I put a long stick in each one so they could climb out.
> Better a live gnawing critter than a wet corpse.
> Rima   terra@catskill.net
> upstate ny   zone 4

Several responses like this prompt me to share what I sent John Jones
off-list on this topic.  May be depressing but home safety is one of my
"hot buttons."

Have soft spot in my heart for bunnies.  Also have strong feelings that
if we create a potential hazard we should also provide an escape for any
wildlife, not just bunnies, that may happen into our lives.

If you have small children in your family or in visiting families think
about this.  Garden Ponds are second to swimming pools in child
drownings and near drownings.  All it takes for a little one is two or
three inches of water.  That's scary, folks!

I'll get off my soapbox now.  After 23 years working for the Consumer
Product Safety Commission I can tell you that I have seen more than my
share of kiddy drownings.  Enough!

I'd be pleased to offer off-list comment or safety counsel to anyone
interested.

Al Limberg
Concord, CA