Re: AIS Bulletin and hybridizing

Thanks Walter, Rick and Art.

Rick wrote:
>Many of the varieties you mention are not too dependable here.  At
>least not for me.   I would suggest getting varieties hybridized by
>Zurbrigg, Byers or our own Walta...Walter Moores that is.

Sounds good in theory at least.  I had already made a list of rebloomers
available here from Tempo Two (Blyth) and Iris Acres.  I went through and
checked the hybridizers and found only one from the people you mention.
i.e. Easter Lace (Byers '88).  I seriously considered buying it when it was
on sale in late summer for $3.50, but didn't!  The Tempo Two catalogue says
that it has rebloomed some years.

>But the most impressive rebloomer I've yet seen for form and normal stalks at
>this time of the year is FOREVER YOURS by Ben Hager.  Every, and I mean
>every plant is blooming with stalks about 40 inches and terrific
>branching.  Plenty of increases left.  What a winner!

That's not available here either!  Clearly, I shall have to get a catalogue
from Rainbow Ridge and see what they have.  It's the only major Australian
nursery I know of which I haven't yet tried.

Art wrote:
George Sutton talked to our society a year ago last May and gave us the
following on hybridizing rebloomers. Hope you can use the info.

Thanks.  Unfortunately, once again the problem of availability in Australia.
Dusky Challenger, Feedback, Mandolin, Sky Hooks, Sweet Musette and Vanity
(and of course Victoria Falls) are available here but the others aren't (at
least from the nurseries I've tried).
However, armed with the new information, I might try using those.

Thanks again to everyone,