OT: wildlife in gardens

	Doreen wrote:

>The dog had been handy and did chase off half the squirrell population, and
>will run off the deer if she hears them at night. But what to do  aabut
>all these rabbits?  I found a woodchuck hole in my veggie garden which is
>adjacent to the iris and I gased him but he must have escaped and is back
>eating my hollyhock babies. I live in fear they will all find the iris.

	After reading all these tales of horror about the wildlife eating
	plants of all kinds, I am still trying to piece it together mainly,
	why do we get absolutely no damage from any kind of critter in
	out veggie and flower gardens? I see chipmunks and squirrels every
	day in the front and back gardens as they run helter-skelter over
	the cultivated beds to their 'holey' homes clutching their wild nuts
	and berries. We are surrounded by so many wild raspberry, blackberry
	and tons of nut-seeding trees that they could care less about out
	cultivated blueberries and such.

	The person who suggested feeding them must be on the right track.
	We also have 'bunnies' (don't know what they are, Ian) and they
	don't come near the unfenced veg. garden (complete with lettuce)
	near the edge of the woods. Have no idea what they are eating and
	don't care since they leave us alone.

	Just some thoughts before I go out to dig some some beds for next
	Spring. :((

Ellen Gallagher	\ e_galla@moose.ncia.net \ Lancaster, New Hampshire,USA
  USDA Zone 3a \ Northern White Mountains\ AIS Region 1 {New England}