HYB: Blyth Iris

Linda Mann wrote:

>  Like Rusty, also wondering about Barry Blyth's 'slightly different
>  approach' that Kathy Guest mentioned.

I'd rather let Kathy explain what she meant by 'slightly different
approach', but Barry Blyth's program incorporates several things we've be=

1.      A long-term plan.  Far beyond the scope of this list.  Please see=

Barry's own articles in back AIS Bulletins.

2.      Line-breeding.  For example, his line of pink amoeas.

3.      Heavy use of stock descended from European diploids.  "Should"
result in cold-hardiness.

4.      Use of parallel lines.  Many of his color breakthroughs have come=

from crosses between his line of recessive amoenas and his line of domina=
amoenas.  This maintains a more diverse gene pool than straight

5.      Nested recessives.  I'm not sure when he started deliberately
seeking these out -- I think he started by capitalizing on the ones he

Blyth iris are among the best performing TBs here in southern New Mexico,=

but that's just one reason I've used them so heavily in my own program. =

The genes they carry from the recessive amoenas seem to be key to getting=

aril traits to come through. =

Sharon McAllister