Re: HIST-Drady (and other unknowns)

On Wed Sept 10 1997, Henryanner@aol.com wrote:
> Greetings,
> John Jones has asked for the intro date for the curious little iris DRADY.
> I'm hoping Mike Lowe will fill in the full story, as far as it is known,
> about this beautiful flower, which can be seen on the HIPS page at
> http://www.tricities.net/~mikelowe/
> Go to Quick Fix amd scroll on down the names.
> I can tell you that it is one of the great mysteries of the antique iris
> world, and we do not know who created it, or when. There are at least two
> irises circulating under this name, and the one Mike has on the page is the
> correct one.
> Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA
> Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com

I just spent some time catching up on all the new iris photos Mike has
posted to the HIPS web page--WOW!  Yes, DRADY is beautiful, and PRINCESS
BEATRICE TOO, but I think my favorite of the photos is TROPIC NIGHT. (I
need to grow some Siberians!) There are photos of some that I got new
this year, ones my Mom grew in the 1940's. So far I have 21 of the 85
Mike pictured. Mike, do you have a picture of KING JUBA to post? Mom
mentioned confusing it with IRIS KING. I now have both of them, so if
they both bloom at once I can compare them.

I'm curious -- does anyone have a count of how many antique irises are
being grown that, like DRADY, aren't in the check lists -- and which
ones they are?  Mom grew DALE, which she listed in her Gardening Journal
as an "early blue," and the flowering dates for it were 4/29/41 and
4/28/42 in her garden near Decatur, Illinois where I grew up. Has anyone
ever heard of it? She didn't say what type it was or where she got that
one, though I know where she got nearly all the other 42.

Endlessly fascinating, this historic iris collecting!

Barb Johnson                  lgjohnson@getonthe.net
Southwest Missouri Ozarks     USDA Zone 5b     AIS Region 18 (MO & KS)