HYB: Reading List

Rusty wrote:

>  I know you didn't *intend* to make me feel stupid, but I do anyway.  I=
>  there some sort of iris hybridizing school you can go to to learn abou=
>  genetics, etc.???  Cuz I'm sure not learning that (or anything half th=
at
>  interesting) at high school.

The Sooner State Iris Society, in Oklahoma City, OK, has a "Pollen
Dauber's" school every February. A full day with hybridizers like Blyth &=

Keppel.  Many others have presented the school, of course, but these two
have been discussed recently.   I don't know who's scheduled for '98.... =
 =

>  And *which* back issues of the Bulletin?  (Try to remember I'm still
>  playing catch-up.)  Oh, well...

First, Rusty, let me recommend one of my own articles.  In AIS Bulletin
#287, October 1992:  Reflections on the Stages of Hybridizing Life.  You'=
ll
see that you're already years ahead of where I was at your age.  Smearing=

pollen on any and everything that blooms is part of the learning process.=
 =

ENJOY!

For your more serious question....  I don't have an master list of
hybridizing articles, but here's a selection from my current bookmarks:

Number 221, April 1976
Stripe Up the Bland, by Allan Ensminger.  Account of the origin of his
variegated line.

Number 221, April 1976.
Tetrasomic Segregation at the Plicata Locus, by Kenneth K. Kidd.  Detaile=
example of the use genetic statistics.  =

Number 241, April 1981.
Colors & Color-Patterns in the Tall-Bearded Iris, by Norlan C. Henderson.=
practical discussion of patterns and pigments -- prerequisite to tackling=

the associated genetics./

Number 249, April 1983.
An Approach to Breeding Amoena and Bicolor Irises, by Barry Blyth.  Great=

presentation about recessive and dominant amoenas -- and their relative
strengths & weaknesses, as well as their differences.

Number 257, April 1985. =

Makiing That First Cross, by Sharon McAllister.  The mechanics.

Number 178, July 1990
Shoulders, by Ben R. Hager.  In-depth study of BEVERLY SILLS, covering 15=
9
varieties and 52 breeders in her background -- and tracing all the way ba=
ck
to 1759.  Enough diploids in the background to provide some food for
thought re. the triploid route.

No. 281, April 1991
Planned Parenthood through Pollen Preservation, by Sharon McAllister. =

Includes a brief bibliography.

No. 284, January 1992.
The Serendipity Series, by Sharon McAllister.  Account of how I used Blyt=
introductions to get quartebreds with signals.

No. 289, April 1993.
Irises in Trees, by Keith Keppel.  How to decipher and interpret complex
pedigrees.

No. 294, July 1994.
Plicata, Luminata -- and Glaciata?, by Keith Keppel. Nested recessives of=

the plicata allele.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@ compuserve.com