Re: CULT-Borer--other plants attacked (long)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT-Borer--other plants attacked (long)
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 21:52:37 -0600 (MDT)

Greetings:

In the very informative excerpt from the Cornell Extension Bulletin 324 Mike
Lowe provided us is the following statement:

<< In our studies, eggs have been found pasted to practically
 everything in the cages that had a roughened surface-twigs, dead leaves,
 rusty nails, cloth, bits of wood, and wire screen.  Only in one instance
 were any eggs laid on fresh green iris leaves.  >>

Now, for some time I have been trying to get an authoritative answer to
whether the borer lays eggs only on iris debris, or whether any debris will
do. I recently read something that indicated that they laid only on iris
matter. The Cornell finding sounds more plausible.

My question is this: Has the Cornell finding been superceeded?

Thank you so much, Mike. That was a really good article.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA
Henry Hall henryanner@aol.com