Glowing praise for M. L.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Glowing praise for M. L.
  • From: Mark Thornsburg <thrnsbrg@flash.net>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 21:53:17 -0600 (MDT)

 Sharon writes...

> >I have added a picture to my web page of a gorgeous iris I have in my
> garden
> >that, unfortunately, I have no idea what it's name is.
>

> and Mike Lowe wrote:
> There are VERY few iris in that color class and of that vintage
> (1940-1955)
> that were put on the market. The only candidates that are even close:
>
> Helen Collingwood (K. Smith 49) seems to match in nearly all respects
> except for the clear, bright white standards. Helen opens as a
> neglecta and
> fades to nearly white standards late on the second day after opening.

Mike, I would like to commend you on your thorough approach to
identifying this unknown iris.  I would also like to help allay any
doubts you might have.  Your comparison of the unkown iris to H. C.
left like a 5% or less margin of error.  But here's the thing.  I will
never get an *exact* replica of Aitken's Salmon Creek's picture of
MEGABUCKS.  Why?  My soil is different, I am just now starting to
(sparingly) use alfalfa...  etc.  Ditto with DEGAS DANCER and the
Schreiner's pic.   Mine had a lavendar tint in the "pure white
standards" until, oh, about 30 minutes before it wilted and became a
gooey mess!  So, overall, I would say that you did an excellent
detective job and Sharon can rest assured that she does indeed have
Helen Collingwood.

Rusty