Re: Iris 101

Kathy Guest sent me to iris school with the following comments:

> 1.  The first and most obvious way is to join AIS .. and even a
> section or
> two.  DONE!  I also joined the Space Ager Robin, though I have yet to
> hear word from them...and I was automatically joined into the youth
> program as well.
> 2.  Join a local club.  Most clubs have some kind of 'beginner's
> program".
> I've already joined the FWIS...Dallas is next...Both Diana Winship and
> Bonnie Nichols invited me to attend.  How could I say no to two lovely
> ladies with irises named after them???  As for the beginner's program,
> I haven't heard anything about that in Fort Worth.  Diana...any
> thoughts?

> 3.  READ... read this and read iris books

> 4.  ASK QUESTIONS!   Most of us are happy to respond to the things we
> respond to!

Okay...what does "pretty on pretty" mean?

> 6.  As for hybridizing.... write to the hybridizers you most admire.
> Most of
> them (in my vast experience) are happy to answer questions.
> I wouldn't be on this list if not for Bill Maryott who encouraged me
> to join.

> 7.  Oh, and Rusty.... they teach genetics in SCHOOL  <VBG>

I do vaguely remember the Punnet square in Biology...but my parents were
sending me to a private school then, and now I go to a school
where...never mind. But the punnet square was VERY siplistic.  So I
didn't get what I needed out of that lesson.  Although if I ever cross a
flower with its *only* characteristics being if it is red or white, I'll
be s-e-t!

Thanks for the lesson, Kathy.  I do still have a way to go, but I am