Re: Iris 101

Rusty asked:

>  Okay...what does "pretty on pretty" mean?

Making a cross with an artist's eye rather than a scientist's reasoning. =

Absolutely nothing wrong with the approach if you're the intuitive type. =
like to plan my program scientifically, then let esthetics come into play=

with individual crosses.

>  I do vaguely remember the Punnet square in Biology...but my parents we=
re
>  sending me to a private school then, and now I go to a school
>  where...never mind. But the punnet square was VERY siplistic.  So I
>  didn't get what I needed out of that lesson.  Although if I ever cross=
>  flower with its *only* characteristics being if it is red or white, I'=
ll
>  be s-e-t!

Yes, it's simple.  It's also basic.  Like learning the alphabet before
learning to read. Necessary, but not sufficient.  When you mastered your
ABC's, I doubt that you felt you'd never need to read a book. =

If you got what you needed from learning about the Punnett Square, you're=

prepared to delve a bit deeper into recombinant genetics and genetic
statistics.  Did you cover just the Punnett Square itself?  Or go on to
using it in tests of statistical significance?  If you were left with the=

impression that it has no practical value, I do suggest reading about it =
in
TWOI.  That, too, is quite basic but it should help you make the transiti=
on
from theory to practice.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com