Re: OT- Wildlife

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT- Wildlife
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 17:57:51 -0600 (MDT)

Albert F. Limberg wrote:

> stribley wrote:
> >
> > . . .
> > I guess that leads me to relate about the kangaroos. . .  there was one in =
> > my iris patch one morning . . . I don't know if they are keen on eating the irises but they sure as hell =
> > can crush them well.

> Kangaroos!  Now that's what I call BIIIIIG bunnies.  Can eat anything he
> (or she) desires.  Anyone with ideas, short of 30-06 rifles, on how to
> deter kangaroos from stomping an iris patch?
>
> Al Limberg
> Concord, CA

You'll 'roo the day you asked that question, Al!

It reminds me of the hunter who was quietly stalking a deer through the
woods, when he heard noisy footfalls behind him. Turning, he espied a
rabbit. He moved on quietly, but the noisy footfalls followed. He turned
and whispered sternly, "Shoo, rabbit!" Still, as he stalked, the noisy
rabbit followed. Finally, realizing that the deer was spooked and he
would have no venison that day, he turned and shot the rabbit, which he
took home and, after cleaning (the division of labor in the household
being well established), handed over to his wife. That night at dinner,
as she passed him the hasenpfeffer, his wife (no taxonomist, she) said,
"Here, honey. Have a bit of the hare that dogged you."

The last act of the above, of course, took place at a table graced with
a lovely bouquet of irises. Far be it from me to submit anything
off-topic.

Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA, having just
arrived home from our C&P beardless sale and auction at Dick Sparling's
garden in Olney, Maryland -- listers in attendance including Ryan Carter
and the redoubtable Clarence, who served as our auctioneer but won't be
back on iris-l until he catches up with irises-on-the-ground.
jgcrump@erols.com