BULB: I have I reticulata bulbs to plant?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: BULB: I have I reticulata bulbs to plant?
  • From: "William M. Groth" <groth@rice.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 08:23:21 -0600 (MDT)

Hello Irisarians,

I am beginning the adventure with Dwarf Irises (I. reticulata) and I have 10
bulbs that I just got from the nursery.  We are in Houston, TX (zone 9a Texas
Gulf Coast)  And my plan is to plant them in our front bed or in a back raised
bed a the edges where I plan to plant a Allium gigantea (??).  Anyway the
question is typical for a newbie.  Are these likely to do well here in
Houston,
in a bed which gets morning sun (virtually until noon or after) then is shaded
by the house through most of the afternoon?  Or should I plant these with the
Allium which is in a raised bed which gets sun almost all day including the
hot
noon/afternoon sun we have in Houston plus HUMIDITY?  Are there any hints
as to
when to plant them?  Both beds are actually pretty well drained.

Any hints and encouragement will be most welcome.

       William M. Groth
       groth@ruf.rice.edu
       Senior Staff Auditor
       Internal Audit Department