Re: OT: Wildlife in the Garden

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT: Wildlife in the Garden
  • From: "Robert L. Roberson" <patrob@centex.net>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:40:26 -0600 (MDT)

We have armadillo problems here in Central Texas.  When they come out at

night, you can plug the hole and discourage them or catch them.  My sons
to grab them by the tail, which in effect immobilizes them.    We also
used a live trap to capture some living under the old ranch house as
bumping around at night tends to disturb sleep.  Depending on your
you can dispose of the creature or take it to a different location and
it.  I killed one accidentally years ago by hitting it on the head with
a small
rock;  it was "growling" at a curious kitten and, not knowing anything
armadillos at the time, I was trying to scare it away from the cat.  The
damage they do to us is to dig holes in the pasture -- dangerous for
(and humans on foot).  Armadillos are in danger around here this time of
one of our high school's biggest rivals is San Saba, whose mascot is the

armadillo!  Maybe you could send yours to them!

Patricia Roberson, in Goldthwaite, Texas, where it's hot and dry and
only "Immortality" is blooming!