CHAT-- Rural Festivities, with some mention of REBLOOM

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CHAT-- Rural Festivities, with some mention of REBLOOM
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 20:10:26 -0600 (MDT)

Greetings,

We went to the Fredericksburg  Iris Society's picnic Saturday at Lois Roses'
farm in the lovely countryside of central Virginia. The day was warm, but
with more than a touch of Autumn in the air. The orange of mid-summer, with
its trumpet vines, butterfly weed, and naturalized daylilies has moved into
the purple and gold of early fall and the Joe-Pye, violet asters, and
deep-toned morning glories are wonderful with the various golden daisies that
line all the country roads. At the farm we all shared a nice pot-luck meal
and took care of a little business while the goldfinches and hummingbirds
visited their feeders and the blue-tailed skinks darted along the brick
walls. We then moved out to dig and divide some of Lois' huge, healthy,
clumps of beardless irises. We had all brought things to swap around, and,
with Lois's generosity, everyone left with at least one new and interesting
plant. Going home we took the back roads and saw a woodchuck and then a
mother deer with twin fawns which came out just as the sun started to dip
low. The rebloom? IMMORTALITY, coming into its own at the end of a summer of
great drought. We all wished you were there.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA  Zone 7
Henry Hall henryanner@aol.com