Re: CULT: Blyth iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Blyth iris
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:14:13 -0600 (MDT)

Also, thanks to everybody for great discussion about Blyth intros.
Sounds like one really needs to be gardening under fairly ideal
conditions to do much selection for elusive flower traits and be able to
grow some of these early generation results.

About those ancestral European diploids he (I thought there was a whole
family of Blyths - guess it's just Barry?) has incorporated in his TBs -
I tried tracking back thru the R&I books last winter thinking I might be
able to figure out something about picking which ones to kill next <dark
humor> and was disappointed to find hardly any cvs whose names I
recognized, much less knew anything about.  Do any of you know the names
of the diploid cvs he has used mostly, their probable ancestry, and
which valued characteristics have shown up in his intros?

Do any of you know Barry Blyth personally and know if he would be likely
to respond to a letter asking a bunch of questions about his breeding
program, growing conditions, etc?  Can we lure him on-line for a

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
zone 7, rockpile frostpocket with incredible biodiversity of pests,
predators, and pathogens, but thank goodness the kangaroo and elephant
repellants are working so far!