Re: OT: abbreviations

Maureen Mark wrote:
>I have noticed for the past few months, the increasing usage of
>abbreviations - some which took me a while to figure out.  CV is
>cultivar?  I saw it about three times before I figured it out.  There
>are a few that I never did figure out.

If I may be so brash as to suggest another alternative, if you don't
recognize an abbreviation, simply ask.  No one will give you a bad time.
Yes cv is cultivar. I use rz a lot because being a clutz on the keyboard
find typing "rhizome" difficult. (It is almost as bad as typing "clutz")

Here are some of the ones I can recall recently:
dip - diploid
tet - tetraploid
SPEC - species
plic - plicata

Of course there are the abbreviations for the different types of iris, but
those are commonly available on web pages.

There are also those email abbreviations:

LOL - laughing out loud
ROFLOL (sometimes ROTFLOL) - rolling on the floor laughing out loud
LOLSDOMN - laughing out loud spitting a drink out my nose

and other noisome acronyms.

There are several web pages that have lots of those listed. I don't have
them here at this system, but I can post them later if anyone would like.

I had the same problem when I started out, low, a year and a half ago. (I
just found the oldest message I have saved from the early days of iris-l, a
recipe for dishwasher salmon dated 2/26/96) - yeah we talked non-iris stuff
then too...but not as much.

I digress.  There were lots of things I didn't know and didn't understand.
I can tell you from first hand experience that if you can get past the
feeling of "am I going to look dumb if I ask that question" you will find
that *LOTS* of people will be glad that you asked, *AND* you will get great
answers. Poke around in iris web pages, ask questions. If nothing else, it
gives the rest of us who "don't have a life", something to do...   :>)))

And if you don't want to ask the list, send me a message. If I don't know
the answer (certainly a possibility), I will find it or it isn't available.

Chase the dragons, move out the edge of your known world...

John         |"There be dragons here."