Re: Iris identity?

>I was given an Iris called Laced Handkerchief.
>It is about i8 inches tall with green and white fans. It does not have a
>rhizome but more like a root system. It has fans like a regular Iris. I
>think it is a Siberian but I am not sure. It is supposed to bloom but
>the lady couldn't remember the color. She thought the bloom was flat and
>a light color. If anyone knows what I have please let me know. My 87
>years young adopted granny and I are at a loss.
>David L. Schaffer
>Mr. Green Wet Thumb

Suspect what you have is Iris japonica variegata.  Not hardy north of zone
7b, and rarely blooms there.  Outdoors prefers a moist, very humusy soil,
full sun to partial shade.  Spreads rapidly by means of runners.  Makes a
good pot plant; summer it outside and keep indoors in a bright window in
winter.  Blooms February-March-April.  The flowers are flat, pale blue or
white, frilled and laced; many are produced from each stem.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943