Re: Evergreen Hideaway

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Evergreen Hideaway
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <Koekkoek@dordt.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:48:42 -0600 (MDT)

Anner and Walter, I hope you will like Evergreen Hideaway better than
I do (or did, I guess I should say, since it bit the dust in the rot
of last year's wet, wet spring.  To me the green is very muddy, not
at all a beautiful color.  The great thing about the plant, which did
very well before the unusual conditions of last year by the way, is
that it produces such a large number of blooms per stalk.  I have had
as many as 12 on a bloomstalk, so one gets flowers over a long time.
It is different, but I never thought of it as striking.  The
hybridizer, Jack Ames, lives in the dry, irrigated country of central
Washington, and that plant seems to reflect that.  Doesn't like to
have wet feet at all, not at all tolerant of that condition, so keep
that in mind when you plant it.

Arnold Koekkoek

Arnold Koekkoek                         Home Ph. (712) 722-0724
Assoc. Prof. of History                 Off. Ph. (712) 722-6326
Dordt College                           e-mail koekkoek@dordt.edu
Sioux Center, IA 51250