Re: IRIS-L digest 763 Cult

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: IRIS-L digest 763 Cult
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <Koekkoek@dordt.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:23:53 -0600 (MDT)

In regard to Sharron's question about mulching in zone 5, I can't
speak, but if you are where you'll get zone 4 winters, you should
mulch your newly planted rhizomes.  After the first year if probably
won't matter at all, especially if you have plenty of snow cover that
stays on all winter.  If you don't mulch in this part of zone 4, at
least (NW Iowa) the alternate freeze/thaw cycle of winter is likely
to cause 2 bad things:  (1)they'll heave right out of the ground,
unless you have a weight on each rhizome, and (2)the rhizomes will
rot.  If the snow cover stays on all winter, o.k., but one can't
count on that here.  When the winter sun warms the rhizomes, they
start to thaw, then freeze again overnight.  Result:  disaster.  So,
I'd say you ought to mulch with something that doesn't pack down but
protects from winter sun.

Arnold Koekkoek
 Hello all,

After gardening for more years than I want to admit to ; >) I have a new
situation here and need some advice. We moved out of Zone 6A this summer
to a Zone 5 and sometimes down to Zone 4 winters and need to know if I
have to mulch or offer winter protection for my Irises. We never had to
protect anything where we were, so if you think we need to here, can you
suggest what to do? ie, would we mulch wih hay, branches, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Sharron
----
who was given a box of Irises last week and is going to plant them just
in case they grow. : >)

Arnold Koekkoek                         Home Ph. (712) 722-0724
Assoc. Prof. of History                 Off. Ph. (712) 722-6326
Dordt College                           e-mail koekkoek@dordt.edu
Sioux Center, IA 51250