Re: SPEC: Info on Iris Uniflora

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC: Info on Iris Uniflora
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 22:35:50 -0600 (MDT)

TK & Anna Meade wrote:
> A kind soul sent me some species (I guess) iris seeds from I. Uniflora.
> I haven't been able yet to find any information on this plant or
> starting these particular seeds. Does anyone out there know anything
> about this plant? Thanking you in advance, Anna Meade Zone 6/7, NJ

The WOI (thats World of Iris for those non abbreviation freaks) states
that I. Uniflora is a miniature variant of the species I. Ruthenica.
This species comes from a cool Eurasian woodland and wants only to be
put where it will not bake, in almost any light soil that is not
alkaline.  There it will slowly make itself tufted green hummocks from
which in spring come quiet amethyst flowers on slim stalks.  The foilage
persists in low ground-covering effect until midautumn when it turns a
glowing golden brown, then goes dead to come afresh in the early days of
the new spring.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California...where we are in the J's of the TB's for our
transplanting.  Historics next.
Zone 8