Re: CULT: Blyth iris

Linda Mann wrote:
>(I thought there was a whole family of Blyths - guess it's just Barry?)

There certainly is.  His ex-wife Lesley and three kids (Paul, Tim and Heidi)
have also done some hybridizing.  There was a photo of Tim out in the field
hybridizing in the 96/97 catalogue from Tempo Two.  I'm sure the other
family members have quite a few introductions between them.  Here's a sample:

Blues Brothers
Shine on Wine

Heidi's:  (I think she's mainly interested in Dwarf Beardeds)
Late for School

Green and Gifted

I have a vague memory of reading about one which I think was Tim's which won
an award in Italy.

>Do any of you know Barry Blyth personally and know if he would be likely
>to respond to a letter asking a bunch of questions about his breeding
>program, growing conditions, etc?

Well, Mum spoke to him on the phone in March, making a late order for me
(she being the one with the credit card!) and he was extremely helpful.  It
was on his advice that I joined the AIS and Reblooming sections.  I say
write the letter and see what happens. I think there's a reasonable chance
he might respond.  Bear in mind, though that our bloom season is about to
start so he'll probably be extremely busy for a while.  There was an
interesting profile of him (and mention of his family) in the Hybridizer's
Medal section of the AIS July bulletin.

>Can we lure him on-line for a seminar?

Now that would be great.  Maybe a concerted group effort?  Mind you, it
might be easier to contact and persuade him if he was already on-line!

Ann Pearce