Re: Yellow nutsedge control

BASF has a product "Basagran" (bentazon) which has some activity on yellow
nutsedge.  Turf companies in Nebraska used it to remove yellow nutsedge from
lawns, although it does not translocate well into the root and "nut," i.e.,
most of the activity is through contact.

Depending upon the severity of the problem, I'd recommend some
EXPERIMENTATION before I would ever broadcast it over an entire bed.  I
suspect that results would be best now, with the dormancy of TBs and with
y.n. at its peak.

Basagran was sold as a post-emerge broadleaf herbicide for soybeans,
although yellow nutsedge is listed on its label.  Any product used on a food
crop, particularly post emerge, must meet very  stringent toxicology
requirements, and this product is safe if used as directed.

My control measure of choice is still to repeatedly pull it out, because
I've never let it get "out of hand."

Regards,
Bob Stassen, Ag-chemical s/r in previous life.