Re: Freezing/thawing measure

At 08:32 AM 9/17/97 -0600, Bob Stassen wrote:
>When I grew iris in Minnesota (and a practice my sisters still follow
>today), we would cover the rhizomes with sand as they emerged due to the
>freezing and thawing.  The sand would work its way down and around the
>rhizome, and they would remain covered.
>
>We also would cover the iris with straw with the first snow (burning that
>and the dead foliage off in the spring).

Using sand in  this way sounds like good practice to me.

The straw should be a stiff stemmed type such as wheat, preferrably not a
soft stem grain like oats. Burning off in spring is probably excellent
garden practice but check your local bylaws. Doing that here would land you
in court trying to convince a judge on the merits of iris growing.

John Montgomery
monashee@bcgrizzly.com
Vernon  BC  Zone 5