Re: Yellow nutsedge control

Bob Stassen wrote:

<< Basagran was sold as a post-emerge broadleaf herbicide for soybeans,
 although yellow nutsedge is listed on its label.  Any product used on a food
 crop, particularly post emerge, must meet very  stringent toxicology
 requirements, and this product is safe if used as directed. >>

Bob,  I hope you are just the fellow to answer a chemical regulation question
for me. Last winter Graham Spencer, of this list, an English nurseryman, said
that while chemical-use laws in the UK were very detailed and comprehensive,
a loophole existed that was useful. To wit: any chemical labeled for safe use
on food crops could be also used on ornamentals. Do we here in the US have
this loophole? I asked my County Extension Agent, but she had not heard of
such if it existed

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA
Henry Hall henryanner@aol.com